Day 278 Challenges



September 13, 2015


(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


On some days, gifts are illusive. Today was a difficult one for David who was feeling much pain and frustration after his surgery. It is difficult for me to watch when I feel so helpless. And then I seem to be experiencing some sympathetic symptoms myself.

Today's weather was beautiful and the Renaissance Festival was going strong. And here was David in pain and nauseous in a hospital gown that revealed a naked backside in an environment that, despite the friendliness of the staff, steals dignity and all sense of one's power over one's life.

Tonight I left the hospital, tired and depleted. I dragged myself into the house, looked up, and saw Misty, our cat, waiting at the top of the stairs. Here was a creature that welcomed me home with a small meow, even though I had abandoned her for the past five days. "Where have you been all day," she seemed to be saying. "I missed you." And now, after I have fed her, she is out on the back porch with me as I type this, candle and wine to my right and crickets serenading me. 

Did I say today offered no gifts? I was wrong. They surround me right now.

My gift today is a forgiving cat.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 279 Baked Potato

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: