Day 283 Phone Call



September 18, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

 
We received a surprise phone call today from Dirk Hamilton. Dirk, a musician friend from Texas, was calling out of concern for David. He read on Facebook about David’s recent hospitalization. We usually see Dirk once a year in October at Edith May’s Paradise, Georgie Jessup’s house concert. 

We first met Dirk through Georgie and soon after that, I asked Dirk if he would participate in my Defining Ourselves photo and words project. He gave it serious thought. After some time, he sent me his answer: “I am here.” It was the shortest answer from any of the project participants and it was deceptively simple. It is the answer of someone who is in the present. It is the answer of someone you know is real and who tells you the truth. It is the answer of someone who understands the importance of connections in life. 

After I received Dirk’s response, David and I traveled to a conference in upstate New York that he was attending so that I could take his portrait. It was not the best time—he was sick and it was raining. The hotel did not want me taking photos in their lobby. We found an awning near a side door and I took a test shot, telling Dirk not to worry about posing yet. Then I shot lots of other photos. As it turned out, the test shot became his CD cover for his next album. 

It means so much when friends, no matter where they are in the world, call to see how we are. 

My gift today is a call from friend Dirk.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

October 10, 2015 Dirk Hamilton will perform at Edith May's Paradise:
https://www.facebook.com/EdithMaysParadise?fref=ts

> Day 284: Surprise Package

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: