Day 49 - Drips



January 27, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


This morning I held my breath, trying to anticipate the exact split second that the icicle would release its next drop. Sometimes my mind was synchronized with the next drip; other times I completely missed.  The important thing, however, was the excitement of anticipation. And the process of being very much in the moment.

As long as we don’t interfere with the timing, we are playing by the rules. Children often do not get this. Anticipation drives impatience and they don’t follow the “rules” until they learn the joy of waiting. I remember my father talking about when he was a young child and had figured out there was no Santa Claus but he had discovered his mother’s secret hiding place for Christmas gifts. It was in one of her dresser drawers, which she kept locked. My father being a curious but very smart kid had figured out that it might be possible to remove the drawer above the locked one and to peek into the locked drawer. As it turned out, the configuration of his mother’s dresser was such that this was possible. And one year, he saw all his Christmas presents before Christmas. He said he only did this once.

I suspect that he had learned the joy of anticipation, how we Velcro each moment to our imagination box and then build and create stories.  It is good to change speed to slow motion like the drips forming on an icicle for it is during time’s foreplay that we savor what is to come. And this is good.

Today’s gift was anticipation.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> DAY 50 Shifting

You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: