Day 28 – Opening



January 6, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


The forecast last night was for snow and, right on time, it came while I was deep in sleep, oblivious to the wonder that surrounded my house. As the sun rose, I am sure that inside other houses, children were shouting “No school today! Hooray!” Actually, I used to mumble these words and return to sleep when I was a middle school teacher. This morning, I did not go back to sleep because I wanted to stand at my kitchen door and experience with all my senses what was in front of me.

I opened the door to feel the cold on my warm skin…
…and I opened my eyes to the streaking snow in front of me…
…and I opened my ears to the muffled sounds of hungry birds…
…and I breathed in the scent of neighbor’s fireplaces burning oak logs…
…and I stuck out my tongue to taste a snowflake.

Then I took a picture not of the beauty of the snow on the holly trees in my yard but of the texture that whirled before me.

All of my senses wove themselves together in the morning moment, giving me an experience of being. I felt alive. When I open all my senses to feeling, I become part of the texture of life.

Today’s gift was texture.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: