Day 40 - Elusive Lines


January 18, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)



Some days are not as clearly defined as others. Like today.

Object outlines reveal themselves as murky suggestions, distances hide in haze, blacks and whites fade into gray. This morning’s fog creates ambiguity, obscures reality, and wraps a metaphoric diffuser around the senses. Even sound adopts a different quality, dampened by mist. When I am wrapped in this baffle, I sense greater intimacy and elusive answers. Even the questions evade me. I am forced to enter the subtle layers surrounding me, to explore and feel.

Life is like this fog. Some people believe there are clear-cut rights and wrongs, blacks and whites, definitive answers and obvious questions, but they are wrong. Life can be nebulous and we should not be afraid to walk in its grayness, searching, knowing that we may never see clearly and that we may find only parts of answers that live in the hazy layers.

The fog propels us to contemplate within ourselves where the questions and answers truly live and I relish the foggy journey.

Today’s gift is fog.

You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: