Day 67 – Ephemeral



February 14, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


Today I saw a line of cars on Mountain Road with drivers rushing to buy flowers or candy for Valentine's Day. I saw one man at the Lake Shore parking lot trying to balance a bunch of flowers and struggling to retrieve keys from a coat pocket with gloved hands while a light snow blew around him. Maybe some of the drivers were headed to Victoria’s Secret. Regardless of where they were headed, they wanted to show some emotion to another with a special purchase.

My valentine gift did not require a trip to the store. It did not necessitate going out into the cold. In a quiet waking moment, with my sleeping husband right next to me, I felt a warm hand close to mine. I reached out and touched his palm. Gently, a finger moved in response against my hand.

Small moments like this are worth much more than a dozen red roses or a box of chocolate covered cherry Godiva candies or heart-covered satin somethings from Victoria’s Secret. (I’ll admit, however, that I do not turn away such nice gifts.)  Purchased things are ephemeral: roses wilt and die; chocolates wind up going down the toilet; clothes fade and wear out. Quiet connections as small as a touch of a finger last longer than these other gifts-- for these connections live deep in the heart.

My gift today is a gentle connecting touch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> DAY 68 Tsk Tsk

You can read my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: