Day 79 – Seeing Horizontally



February 26, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)

Frozen Chesapeake Bay at Downs Park, Anne Arundel County, Maryland
After many years in the Baltimore Camera Club in the 70’s, much of my work conformed to what most camera club judges might vote for. The danger in this is that photographers begin to see everything that way. Photos must follow rules such as every image must have a center of interest. Lines must lead the eye to somewhere.

Then I saw Jenee Mateer’s work at Jordan Faye Contemporary and I began to stretch my way of seeing. Her exhibit involved horizons —full of space, lines, color, relationships, subtlety and "pushing boundaries". Yes, why not immerse the eye into the total image with horizontal lines, without wandering about looking for a center of interest. Seeing Mateer’s work changed my horizons and expectations.

In life, we also tend to live daily experiences by purpose, life’s center of interest. Will I make money from the time I spend doing this? Will I have fun? Will I learn something? Will I make new friends? Will I win? Maybe sometimes we just need to jump into an experience with no expectations and merely accept it for whatever it is. Let it be an unconditional experience...and maybe a surprise.

My gift today is a changed horizon.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­
See example of Jenee Mateer’s work and read her artist statement:
https://www.artsicle.com/Jenee-Mateer 


You can read my other posts on this project here:







No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: