Day 53 – Positioning of Ifs



January 31, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


The serendipity of elements coming together: moon, tree and geese.
The way objects, words, events and ideas blend and position themselves in time and space always amazes me. Juxtaposition affects lives—at least, it has mine. 
In the late 60's, David and I just happened to be neighbors in a Charles Village apartment where he lived on the second floor with his first wife and I lived on the third floor with my first husband. I had not had much contact with David and generally thought of him as that crazy neighbor downstairs. My feeling was reinforced when I woke up one morning to find him sitting in my living room after he had let himself into our apartment, which was usually unlocked. He looked up as I passed into the hall and was about to turn to go through the kitchen and into the bathroom in my sheer negligee, and said, “I hope you don’t mind but I wanted to check something in your paper (then the Morning Sun). I drowsily shook my head and when I came out of the bathroom, he was gone.
If he hadn’t lived beneath us, if I hadn’t been intrigued by my crazy neighbor, if we hadn’t run into one another from time to time in Smalltimore when he told me his newly purchased house in Charles Village had orange trim, if we hadn’t both had recent marriage break-ups (his second and my first), if my former student (Darlene Kelley) from Benjamin Franklin Junior High School had not invited me to her birthday party just down the street from some orange window sills, if I hadn’t left the party to invite him (my curiosity) to come to the party…we might not be where we are now and one of our daughters would not exist. 
Late this afternoon, I left a wine tasting with friends in Madison, Virginia just in time to notice a coming together of earth (a rooted tree), wind (flying geese) and fire (a moon reflecting a fiery sun). A juxtaposition of objects, words, events and ideas occur in space, time and mind, leading to metaphors and new connections such as the one in my life--my husband David has kept me rooted, has been the proverbial wind beneath my wings, and has kept my days fueled with joy and love.

Today's gift is juxtaposition.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: