Day 215 More Quirky Smaltimore



July 12, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day’s gift.)

Foodscape art exhibit hangs in the background at the Mount Royal Tavern and the packed bar holds an eclectic group of visitors, attending the art opening. (Foreground Devin Cherubini)

Friend Jim Burger is part of a group of artists who have been showing their art together for more than 30 years. Tonight was the opening of Foodscape, a peripheral response to the equally aged Artscape.

Foodscape, since 1984, is an art show, with 51 participants to date, always opening the week before Artscape, originally conceived as a contrarian reaction to the banality of Artscape, the dearth of art in Artscape, and the abundance of funnel cakes for the delectation of the booboisie at Artscape.” ~ Joe MacScape, July 15, 2014, City Paper

David and I attended the opening at Mount Royal Tavern, viewed the art, ate free food and drank cheap drinks, talked with people, and then left when we became tired of shouting conversations. Jim’s photograph did not disappoint. It was called Coconuts and the coconuts in his photo played a vital role in his female model’s accessories. 


Space was at a premium but I found a place at the bar and began talking with someone who was sketching on a small pad. I learned that he had gone to MICA (Maryland Institute College of Art) in which neighborhood the bar resides. As we continued shouting our conversation, we realized that we had mutual friends and he gave me his card. When I arrived home, I discovered that he had sent me a Facebook friend request a while ago that I had put on hold with more than 30 other friend requests from people I had no idea who they are.

Tonight was yet another quirky Baltimore art event and confirmation that Baltimore is a small town. 

My gift today is quirky Baltimore connections.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 216 Copulation and Cornholes

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: