Day 225 Swamp Loosestrife



July 22, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day’s gift.)



There’s something in me that wants to know a name—of a person, a plant, a town. It doesn’t mean that I will remember but I want to know that there is a name. I wonder why. Does that make it more real? More tangible? Does it become more beautiful if it has a name?

Today at Downs Park, I watched dragonflies, butterflies and moths flit about and land here and there in the pond area. Out of the corner of my eye, at the same time I heard a “blup” and “splash.” I’m pretty sure that a dragonfly I had photographed just two minutes before had mistakenly landed on the snout of a snapping turtle, barely out of the water. The beautiful dragonfly with turquoise compound eyes had disappeared in a snap. 

I did not capture a photo of this but I did get images of a moth on a beautiful pink flower. I remember vaguely from high school botany class that flowers have parts that are named: stamen, anther, filament, stigma, pistil. This wildflower had many pink filaments shooting out and attracted some brown moths that I cannot identify. 

I posted a photo of the flower on Facebook, afraid that I would not sleep until I learned the name of this wildflower. One person finally nailed it. It is a waterwillow or swamp loosestrife, found in wetlands all along the east coast. 

Now another mystery. I  wonder how this plant got its name?

My gift today is one mystery solved.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 226: Shell, Fur and Skin

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: