Day 164 Wonder



May 22, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)
 
A dragonfly and its shadow
“Come here, quick!” shouted David. It was a tone of voice that did not signal danger but rather wonder. After 35 years of marriage, I can distinguish the difference in my husband’s voice.

I ran outside and saw that he was holding his finger out with a dragonfly perched on it. He was astonished that the dragonfly chose to land on him. I am not. I ran back inside to get my Nikon but it flew away before I could return. However, it decided to land on the windowsill right outside my office window. Perfect! I carefully pulled up the venetian blinds, raised the window and raised the screen. Miraculously, it still clung to the sill. 

As I observed it through my macro lens, I could see that it was a dragonfly and not a damselfly. The former holds its wings out and the latter folds its wings close to its body. Because it seemed to want to cling for long periods without flying, I believe it had recently emerged from the nymph stage.  I’m sorry I didn’t witness that. What I did witness, however, was a beautiful insect with an amazing shadow. Its veined wings cast a delicate shadow and the sun projected the yellow in its wings on the sill. 

It is amazing that a tiny insect can influence its environment by casting such a beautiful shadow, more beautiful than any I am capable of creating. This small creature, by just being, has created shadow art and stirred wonder in two adults. 

My gift today is a dragonfly’s shadow.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­
You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: