Day 362 Disconnecting and Connecting


December 6, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


It is a paradox that sometimes we have to disconnect in order to connect. I remember when beepers and then cell phones began to become ubiquitous. I resisted it at first, saying that I did not want to be at the disposal of others 24/7. 

Technology has improved exponentially since those early days and I now have a smart phone. I understand the attraction and how constant contact can become addictive. I often ignore the constant notification beeps on my phone, sometimes putting it on airplane mode. I never thought I’d say it, but much as I like the instant gratification of quick access to information, there are times when the circuit breaker in my head clicks from too much information. 

Some clever apps have been developed for long distance relationships, LDR, “apps that let you touch one another.” Hello?! As easy as today’s technology makes connection possible for humans, there’s one thing it can’t do, in spite of the claims. Physical touching and real hugs are impossible remotely. Between legal restrictions regarding touching in schools and our reliance on technology, our culture might be in danger. I remember the first day of school when I taught at Annapolis Middle School. Teachers lined up in the hall as students entered the building. I watched students and teachers begin the school year with hugs but, sadly, that is not allowed any more. 

Human, real-time touching is necessary for humanity to survive. This weekend, I turned off my cell phone and connected in person with friends—including hugs. Nothing can beat this.

My gift today is being in touch without technology.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

Psychology Today on the need for human touch
            

> Day 363: Ornamental Grass

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html
              
 






2 comments:

  1. Bonnie, I sure will miss your ponderings on your daily gifts if you stop at the end of your 70th year. I find your writings bring perspective in challenging times. I have not developed the discipline for writing about my daily gifts...I allow myself to get sidelined. The writing about daily gifts would seem to winnow out the chaff from the hay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Even though this 365 project is ending, I will not stop appreciating my daily gifts.

      Delete

This space for your comments: