Day 293 Dancer



September 28, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

An almost invisible thread holds this leaf.
Today was good for a walk in Downs Park, just a few miles from my house. I have always loved to walk. I know that kinetic activity connects with the mind; there is evidence that it enhances the mood and improves cognitive function. Sometimes, I write poetry while walking. Often I notice things I’ve never noticed before and make new cognitive connections. There is no doubt that daily walks helped me while teaching and working on my doctorate.

I walked three miles today, mostly in the park and stopped to watch a curled dancing brown leaf. It appeared to be twirling about midair as if it were alive. The truth is that there was a slender, almost invisible thread holding it from an overhead branch and it moved in a slight breeze. I was an audience of one, mesmerized with a ballet accompanied by sounds of chickadees and waves lapping the shore. I blew on the leaf, changing the dance with my breath. If I return tomorrow to the same spot, the slender thread will probably have released the dancer to mingle with oblivion.

Maybe like the leaf, I too dance midlife, connected by an invisible thread of awareness that compels me to be in the present. I have freedom to interact and create new motion with the air around me. I breathe and alter my movement but my awareness is ultimately limited by how far the slender thread can swing. 

My gift today is a slender thread.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: