Day 281 I Tear to Pieces



September 16, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)



My mother, who passed away 20 years ago, did not like the month of September, even though the 16th was her birthday. In spite of it being her birthday month, she hated it because her daughters went back to school and she loved having us home during the summer. I loved my mother but I also loved school

Autumn is my favorite season. Besides bringing memories of my mother, I appreciate how September eases me into seasonal changes. Some trees have released their leaves while others are still quite green. Although many flowers are past their bloom, others are still showing their color. The weather is still mild but not brutal. I feel subtle differences in the way the sun touches everything. 

After daily trips to the hospital for the past six days, it was a treat today to go walking in Downs Park while David was still sleeping. I saw a blue heron at the far end of the pond and talked with a man who was taking photos there. Next to one of the main trails, a mushroom I’d never noticed before caught my attention. At first, I thought it looked like a brain, similar to brain coral. Then I looked again and it seemed to have many ribbon-like folds, much like a cauliflower. On further research, I learned that it is the relatively rare cauliflower mushroom that usually grows at the base of decaying trees and is edible. I don’t care to eat mushrooms but I did find a number of recipes for this particular one. The genus name, Sparassis, comes from Greek and means “I tear to pieces.” I did not pull it up but took a photo that has now become a piece of my day.


My gift today is a cauliflower mushroom.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:

Eastern Cauliflower Mushroom


Other strange mushrooms



No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: