Day 289 Two Continents



September 24, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

Visit from friend Jeremy with humorous t-shirt:
Haikus are easy
But sometimes they don’t make sense
Refrigerator
A couple weeks ago, I received a message from an old friend saying that he was coming to the US for a brief time and were we up for a visitor. The answer was yes, of course. He arrived tonight and it is the first time since David’s surgery that we felt like we were doing something we normally do. So much time has been taken up with medical concerns that it felt good just to have a friend visit.

Jeremy and I met in a mutual class at the University of Baltimore when he was working on his masters and I on my doctorate. At that time, he had a German bride, Maja, who was trying to join her American husband who lived in Baltimore. At each class session, Jeremy would fill us in on the latest frustrations in immigration. Finally, she arrived and it was a joy to see the expression on their faces as they celebrated. And it was wonderful to gain a new friend such as beautiful Maja. 

Since then, they have returned to Germany to live and raise two children. We have had several visits on both continents. As life goes on, some people I meet fade into oblivion while others stay in my heart. Jeremy and his family are the latter. It’s interesting how with certain people, even after a period of time has passed, you can just pick up where you left off a year or so ago. 

My gift today is a visit from an old friend.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 290: Perspicacity

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: