Day 96 Slats of Time



March 15, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)

  


Light lives a multifaceted life. As time moves through each day, the quality of light changes from the soft colors just before the sun rises to the harsh overhead noon sun to the long shadows as the sun sets. Shade takes on a tint of blue and the setting sun turns everything to warm hues. Light directly overhead will accent under eye shadows while light from the side will accent wrinkles and blemishes. Filtered, translucent light flatters.

How light comes through the windows makes a difference. The venetian blinds in my office can be pulled up to let all light in for a clear view outside. In the down position, the slats can also be adjusted, angled up or down. This affects the quality of light coming into the room. When I adjust the slats so they angle down toward the outside, then light falling in the room is soft; when I adjust the slats so they angle down toward the inside, then light coming in is sharper and more defined, often throwing parallel light and shadow lines on objects inside. 

I have control of the slats of my perception and memory as well as the quality of light, depending on how I want to understand things. It is in my power to soften my memory or to perceive with clearly defined lines. Adjusting these slats throws different light on the same memories. Perhaps by seeing the same things in different light, I will come to more fully understand them.

My gift today is changing light .


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­





> DAY 97 Lost and Found  
You can read my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: