Day 90 Fish for Dinner



March 9, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)

The Chesapeake Bay seen from the shore of Downs Park today.
After such gloomy weather of late, it felt good to be in the sun and observe nature from the outside rather than from the warm side of a glass door. 

It has been about ten years since Maryland’s Chesapeake Bay has frozen over as it has this year. A trip to Downs Park on a nearly 60-degree day with blue skies brought visual delights. Ice floes floated about on the Bay that reflected a deep blue from the sky. Families were strolling about and one group asked me to take a photo of them with their phone. They wanted me to be sure to include the icy water in the background. I wasn’t the only one who enjoyed the ice on water that today was bluer than any time in my memory.

I sat for a while and watched a seagull pecking at something on one of the ice floes. With my telephoto lens, I could see it was the bird’s meal—a single hapless fish with a gaping mouth and intestinal problems. The gull stood watch over its food between bites. Its vigilance managed to chase away two of its brothers who were waiting for a chance to steal his meal. 

Bad luck for the fish but good luck for the gull; unpleasant bitter cold created small beautiful glaciers in the Bay. Nature seems to balance the bad with the good. This is a good thing to remember on bad days.

My gift today was watching white ice on a blue day.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

You can read my other posts on this project here:



No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: