Day 106 Straight Line Circles



March 25, 2015

 (This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)







A dish that had been my grandmother’s beautiful crystal bends light within a balanced design. I remember her as a calm, even-tempered woman, both tough and gentle. She had to be tough because her husband died young and left her, a housewife, with three teenaged children. She went to work sewing uniforms for a garment factory and the two older children went to work to help support the family. Yet, this tough woman had an ample bosom that I could bury my head in and soft arms that hugged me.

The longer I live, the more I realize that life is a balancing act with multifaceted dimensions. A circle, something many think of as a perfect shape, is actually an infinite series of straight lines. In our quest for a perfect life, sometimes we search for the curves rather than the straight lines, forgetting that the straight lines will give us what we search for.

We must have in our life both laughter and tears, light and dark, pleasure and pain, sound and silence, forward and backward, giving and receiving. This is what gives us dimension and depth. This is what makes the journey worthwhile. I do not wish for utopia but for the strength to deal with life’s challenges. Much as we hate the negatives, they balance the positives, teach us and help shape our lives. Without the contrast of hills and valleys, our lives would be flat and would not reflect beauty like my grandmother’s crystal.

My gift today is multifaceted.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­
> DAY 107 Devil in the Details

You can read my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: