Day 325 Dust Removed



October 30, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


Photo by David M. Ettlin
I spent much of today in Baltimore at Service Photo, Roman’s Restaurant, the American Visionary Art Museum and Gallery 788. My first stop was at Service Photo in the Hampden area where I entered a packed store in the morning. A special weekend event had been announced, including Nikon techs at the store to clean camera sensors—for free. With a wait of at least an hour, I left my camera and picked it up after other planned stops in the city.

Years ago in the days of film, I was co-owner with Barry Monaco of a camera shop in Severna Park, Maryland. At that time, there were more small photography shops than there are now. Today, with so many people buying photo equipment on-line and in large discount chain stores, small privately owned camera stores are in danger of becoming extinct. There are not many specialty photo stores left in the U.S. This is a shame because these small businesses provide personal service and good advice unavailable from other sources. 

I live 23 miles from Service Photo and it can take 45 minutes to get there in traffic. It is the sole surviving store of its kind in this area and is worth the trip. I have traded in and bought equipment there. The staff is friendly, knowledgeable and ready to answer my questions. Their prices are competitive but even if I had to pay slightly more, I’d be willing to do so if that meant keeping this treasured business in Baltimore. 

This afternoon, I picked up my camera with its cleaned sensors and David took a photo of me in front of a Hampden hon mural. 

My gift today is clean sensors.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 
More here:
http://servicephoto.com

> Day 326: Tricks & Treats


You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: