Day 297 A Bright Spot



October 2, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

Fit Bit app measures sleep.
Today was one of those days that I missed because I slept most of the time. When I am sick, I just want to sleep and then wake up feeling well again. That didn’t happen today but I did wake up around 5 p.m. after sleeping 14 hours. My time in bed was actually longer than 14 hours, but Fitbit measures time awake and restless and subtracts the total hours. I have been trying to get eight hours sleep every night because health experts recommend it, but most nights my sleep totals only six to seven hours.

Unlike times in the past, I am grateful that I had no pressing responsibilities today. Years ago when I was teaching, I had to call in sick and make sure lesson plans were there for the substitute. When I was a graduate student at the same time, I still had deadlines for papers. And there were times when the girls were young and still needed a mother, even if she didn’t feel well.

No one likes being sick but when I am feeling bad, I am glad that David is with me. At my request, he went out and brought me wonton soup, one of the few things my stomach could hold. In the middle of the night, he stayed up with me when I woke up and asked what he could do for me. Then he rubbed my feet, knowing that would help distract me from my cranky digestive system and general discomfort. It did. 

Even on a day when I feel lousy, there is a bright spot.  

My gift today is my husband’s care.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: