Day 298 Weather Report



October 3, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


Weather report: Weather-related closings, cancellations and postponements increase as Hurricane Joaquin approaches the mid-Atlantic region. The hurricane is not expected to reach Maryland’s shore but flooding is expected. Baltimore’s Fells Point Fun Festival and Dog Day on the Bay at Downs Park are  cancelled this weekend. Temperature high 59⁰, temperature low 48⁰, humidity 92%, rain starting in 97 minutes, wind 15 mph.

I stand with my hoodie over my head, close to where the beach should have ended, but today there is no beach. Wind playing with the Chesapeake Bay creates large waves that overtake the sandy shore and beat against rocks and dead tree stumps. One huge log from an uprooted tree rolls helplessly back and forth as water pushes forward and then recedes. Fluid waves beat against grounded rocks and stumps, breaking the water into animated figures of prancing horses and gleeful ghosts.

The fury of wind and waves obliterate any other sounds around me and I am alone. Paradoxically, sound and sight both isolate and connect me. I am isolated from thoughts of yesterday and tomorrow and am immersed in the awe of the moment. As I stand safely on the shore, the power of nature absorbs my senses.
Sit in reverie and watch the changing color of the waves that break upon the idle seashore of the mind." ~ Henry Wadsworth Longfellow

My gift today is the power of wind and waves.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 299: Last Fling

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: