Day 47 – Costume Jewelry and Fried Rice



January 25, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)

Young Chow Fried Rice at the Szechuan Cafe in Pasadena, Maryland
“We can’t jump off bridges anymore because our iPhones will get ruined. We can’t take skinny dips in the ocean because there’s no service on the beach and adventures aren’t real unless they’re on Instagram. Technology has doomed the spontaneity of adventure and we’re helping destroy it every time we Google, check-in, and hashtag,” author Jeremy Glass criticizes technology.

I say this is not necessarily so. There is a flip side too:

Earlier today, David and I went to Savage Mill where we sold some costume jewelry to Caplan’s Auction for $50. After that, we drove to Baltimore to Manzar’s Watermark Gallery for a literary reading event. On the way home, I was checking my iPhone while David was driving when something jumped out at me.  Seeking to commune with real humans, and not just Facebook posts!”  Friend Margie had posted on Facebook—would someone like to meet her and Joe at a restaurant tonight?

Sure! Good idea. I responded and soon we were having dinner with them at the Szechuan Café in Pasadena. Good food, conversation and friends—what a great combination. Our dinner was paid for by costume jewelry.

So often calendars become clogged with all things scheduled and there is little room for spontaneity. Unfortunately, this extends to vacations for some people too. Not so for us. David and I like surprises and when we travel, we often do not know where we will be from one day to the next or what adventures we will have. On our last trip west, while hubby drove, I checked information on my iPhone about the area we were in and then made decisions on the spot about where to go.

For us, technology was a catalyst for our 2014 travel adventures and for our dinner tonight with friends.

My gift today was spontaneity.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

> DAY 48 Tenacious

You can read about how technology enhanced our travels last year:

You can read my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: