Day 353 The Shape of Life



November 27, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

 
According to research, curiosity sharpens an aging mind.
While reading a book today, Staying Sharp by Henry Emmons and David Alter, I suddenly realized how curiosity has shaped my life. I read that curiosity is important to maintaining a sharp mind as we age. The authors give suggestions on how to develop curiosity but I can skip this section—I’ve always been naturally curious and it has affected my life in both big and small ways.

If I hadn’t wondered about that former strange neighbor of mine on Calvert Street and knocked on his door, David and I would not be together. I jumped out of a plane because I wondered what it would feel like and it altered my life perspective. I explored education options and earned a Doctor of Communications Design degree when I was 60.

In small ways, wondering enters each of my days. This morning when the sun came through the window and struck the shower door, I was curious what shadow shapes I could create with my hands. Frequently, when I examine my photos, I check out how I might create entirely different images. 

Several of my blogs during this 365 project were based on discoveries from my questions. For example, when I wondered about ants and tiny dots on a weed, I learned about herder ants. When I investigated a plant growing near a pond, I learned it was Swamp Loosestrife. I am curious about other cultures and joined SERVAS and Couch Surfing. I talk with strangers and my world expands.

My gift today is curiosity.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

> Day 354: Be Good

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html
              








No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: