Day 332 Circles



November 6, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)


A year ago today was my father’s 93rd birthday. One or two months before that, I remember a conversation we had. He had been pensive as we sat in silence. “How long do I have?” I knew what he meant and of course I did not know the answer, but I responded with what I felt. “I don’t know, Dad. I think you will make it to 93 but I can’t promise you Christmas. Let’s appreciate each day as much as we can right now.” I followed this with a hug and went on to tell him about all the people in his family who exist because of him. “We all love you,” I reassured him. 

I was right in my predictions. He met his 93rd birthday with diminishing strength but did not make it to Christmas. Our whole family deeply felt his absence on Christmas day last year. He had been the center  of our family circle.

This morning I looked outside my window and saw that our Japanese red maple had succumbed to the season. A brilliant array of red leaves encircled its trunk. Even though the weather is still mild, I know that winter is coming. But I also know that small red maple sapplings will sprout next spring.


My maple sheds crimson,
ablaze on the crinkled ground.
Silently, I give thanks to the phoenix
for this blatant blanket
as we wait for winter.
     ~ Bonnie Schupp


My gift today is a vibrant circle.

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 

See previous post on this tree, When Will Bob Be Naked?
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2015/11/day-327-when-will-bob-be-naked.html

> Day 333: Seeing

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: