Day 336 To Kondo



November 10, 2015

(If we live with an open and grateful attitude, every day will bring a gift. This is one of 365 gifts during the year I turned 70.)

 
Attic storage space that needs decluttering

At its heart, clutter is a lack of peace.” ~ Kathi Lipp

Recently I read a popular self-help book on de-cluttering—The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo. Her book seems to have struck a nerve in many people. Like the new verb “to Google,” her book has initiated the verb “to Kondo.” At my age, I have accumulated many things. Some are stored in the attic, some in an under-stairs storage area and some sit out on shelves. They not only take up space in my house, they also clutter and weigh down my mind. 


Keep only the things that speak to your heart. Then take the plunge and discard all the rest,” she advises. “When you put your house in order, you put your affairs and your past in order, too. As a result, you can see quite clearly what you need in life and what you don’t.” ~ Marie Kondo


Although I will not be following Kondo’s total concept, I came away from the book with one idea that resonates with me. She suggests asking yourself if a particular thing brought you joy or served a purpose in the past. For me, it easier to get rid of things if I recognize they once served a purpose but no longer do. Some stuff I throw away and useful things I donate to non-profits. Today I made plans for pickup of an old wardrobe that once served a purpose.

My gift today is less clutter. 

 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­ 






> Day 337: Salute to Photography and Veterans

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html


No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: