Day 163 This Day



May 21, 2015


(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)


For years, I have been keeping an eye out for a leaf that mirrors one I saw in 1973, one that inspired a poem typed on a Royal typewriter and a black and white photo taken with a Nikon F on TriX film. The leaf held tiny raindrops around it, adorned with a crown of sparkling jewels. It’s interesting how an image from many years ago remains in my memory but today I cannot recall what I did ten minutes ago. I wonder why a minute detail from that day has been etched into my mind. I do not remember anything else about then but I was in another marriage, another life, and it was a misty, light rain, gray day like today. Maybe it was an instant where I felt my aliveness deeply. Perhaps my mind conjured up this image after a discussion with a friend about death this morning. For some reason, rainy days seem to heighten my awareness.

So today, I found a bejeweled leaf and, amazingly, my old poem from more than 40 years ago. This time I took a color photo but did not write a new poem. I am mixing the old with the new, the past with the present, the way water from yesterday flows into today. Since then, I have become a better photographer and a better poet. And my spirit is still very much alive. 

This Day

This day reigns like a leaf
crowned with droplets of aliveness
reflecting images of
past pleasures
present awareness
and future phantoms
mirroring delicate spheres of “I am’s”
quivering with the closeness of my breath
and shattering at my rain-soaked feet

My gift today is a crown.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

> Day 164: Wonder

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html



No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: