Day 154 Thinking of Home Bush



May 12, 2015

 (This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)




I live on a dead-end street so I usually see only one side of the house on a daily basis. An array of spring blooming of daffodils, tulips, red bud and wildflowers is evident as I pull into the driveway.

However, it is easy to miss the azalea show that has burst out in splendor on the other side. My mother loved azaleas and we frequently gave her new plants for Mother’s Day. The Chinese know azaleas as the “thinking of home bush,” which certainly fits my mother whose life revolved around family and home. I think her favorite color was hot pink; it’s definitely mine. When we moved into this house, there were azaleas on the side and I’ve since added more. Now they reign over that part of the yard and I welcome them. Their color display is obvious only when I go out of my way to look at the north side, the dead-end side of our house, where I am always awed in the spring by the profusion of vibrant blooms of purple, white, and several shades of pink and red. 

This vibrant blooming on the other side is a reminder that I should not forget to vary my perspective and always look at the other side. It is so easy to miss the progression of tiny buds each day, slowly opening and revealing little bits of future glory. It would be a shame to miss gifts such as this.

My gift today is beauty on the other side.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

You can find links to my other posts on this project here:
http://bjschupp.blogspot.com/2014/12/365-gifts.html





No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: