Day 75 – Tire Tracks



February 22, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year where I write and illustrate a blog on each day's gift.)





I looked on my icy driveway this morning. A neighbor’s tire tracks, in my mind, looked like symbols of people holding hands and connecting—sort of like the traditional cutout paper dolls. Then Nancy, a friend from California, called today and I am reminded of how lucky I am to be connected to people on many different levels from near and far.

There are family, close friends and acquaintances. Regardless of the depth of the connection, others contribute to my mental health. It is self-affirming to know that I have the ability to love and be loved and that others care for me. Other people enrich my life, offer a diversity of ideas and help me grow in new directions. UCLA professor Matthew Lieberman, founder of social cognitive neuroscience, says that social connection is as important as food and shelter. He observes that humans, above reptiles, primates and other mammals, are most socially connected and that it is essential to our survival.

Perhaps Albert Einstein said it best, “A human being is a part of the whole, called by us "Universe", a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness.” We are connected.
 

My gift today, and every day, is connections.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­

> DAY 76 Cygnus

You can read my other posts on this project here:







No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: