Day 181 Questions



June 8, 2015

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th years where I write and illustrate a blog on each day’s gift.)

Mystery plants.
On my back porch, in a pot with three blades of grass, a mystery is growing. I didn’t plant anything in that pot this year but something is coming up. It could be weeds; it could be flowers; it could be amaranths. 

I wonder what will happen if I watch these plants grow and wait for them to bloom. I will experience anticipation and disappointment and anticipation—anticipation each day as I look for flowers and disappointment because I don’t see any and then anticipation again at looking again the next day. If nothing blooms, at least I’ve experienced the anticipation and that cannot be taken away. 

There are the questions too. How did these plants begin to grow in this pot? How did a blade of grass get here when the porch is way above any grass? Did the wind blow some seeds here or is this from an annual that I planted last year? If it is an annual, why is it acting like a perennial? Should I prevent my cat from eating it because it is harmful? Can I smoke it? How can I best photograph what is growing? Should I water the pot or just let rain take care of it? Do these plants prefer sun or shade or half and half? I wonder how tall these plants will grow. Will I need to transplant them because they are too crowded in this pot?

The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiosity has its own reason for existing.” ~ Albert Einstein

Even small questions can drive us to look forward to the next day. Will something bloom tomorrow?  And what shall I call it?

My gift today is a mystery.
 ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~­


You can find links to my other posts on this project here:

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: