Day 7 - Cake History



December 16, 2014

(This is part of a 365 project during my 70th year. Each day I will find a gift the day brings, write about it and illustrate it.)



It is always good to get together with long-time friend Kath. David and I hung out with her for a while today. She is among my most unique friends. She is in her mid-80’s and, despite a battle with cancer, is so alive and interesting-- a good role model for me. I am 70 and 16 years behind her. Kath is an avid reader, mother, grandmother and great-grandmother. I’ve run across some seniors who have become stagnant but she continues to ask questions, learn and be interested in what is going on in her world and the larger world. Needless to say, I always enjoy talking with her.

Today she offered us a Jewish apple cake that she made and it was delicious. But even more so, she explained the origin of the cake. Her now-departed next-door neighbor used to make it and Kath asked for the recipe. As she cut the cake, she related to us how this woman had been so much fun to go shopping with. "She was quite a character."

Because Kath shared her homemade cake and the history behind it, I will forever associate it with this neighbor I never met and with Kath’s vibrant spirit. Although I’m not a cook, maybe I should ask for the recipe so that when I serve it (presumably my baking success) to others, I can relate its history. 

I like women who are "characters" and who continue to find life's gifts even as they age. I love the way history can live on with a simple catalyst such as a cake.

Today’s gift was a Jewish apple cake and its history of friendship.


You can read my other posts on this project here:

4 comments:

  1. It's a good thing you like women who are "characters". Just sayin'….

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just saw this - what a lovely post. My grandma is quite the character and I'm glad that you find as much joy in her presence as I do and that she has such wonderful friends :)
    -Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olivia, yes she is quite a character and she loves you dearly too. Your grandma has enriched my life.

    ReplyDelete

This space for your comments: