Loring Cornish - Visionary Artist

Loring Cornish's mosaic glass house on Parkwood Avenue in Baltimore.
Photo © by Bonnie Schupp

Artist Loring Cornish standing on glass floor in a room inside his house. Photo © by Bonnie Schupp.

When you see Loring Cornish’s art, you can’t help but become a part of it. Stand outside his glass house studios on Parkwood Avenueand and you’ll understand why. Yes, it’s a glass house but you don’t see through.  Both you and your surroundings will be reflected in hundreds of mirrored mosaic pieces. His work captures both imagination and reflection of a different sort.

My husband and I first met Loring when he exhibited at the AVAM, the American Visionary Art Museum. He is not a trained artist but a visionary. He says in his artist statement: “I’m not a trained artist; they call me a visionary, an ‘outsider’ artist. My work comes out of my relationship with God. While I worship, I create, and while I create, I worship God.”

Cornish's fabulous glass bathroom (but with a glassless toilet seat).          Photo © by Bonnie Schupp. 

An out-of-this-world bathroom blew me away. I noticed the toilet seat was not made of glass...and that’s probably a good thing too.

Besides the sparkling mosaics, I was especially intrigued by a large piece that will be part of a one-man future exhibit at the Jewish Museum.

Justice, Respect, Liberty, Equality - Art by Loring Cornish.                    Photo © by Bonnie Schupp
I’m somewhat at a loss to describe the reflection that Loring Cornish’s work instills in me because I feel it won’t do his work justice. You can read more and see photos at the following sites but the best thing is to see his work in person.

Loring Cornish Web Site

Baltimore Brew

Urbanite Magazine

Baltimore Magazine

No comments:

Post a Comment

This space for your comments: