Montebello and Druid Hill Lakes

Bring back the good stuff



Recently as I was driving through the city and passed Lake Montebello, I realized that it had been many years since I'd driven, or walked, around it.

When I was a teenager, riding the bus from Erdman Avenue to Eastern High School, I used to pass Montebello every day.

The area was always alive with people and activities. I remember the days when teenagers parked around the lake to watch the submarine races. Needless to say there were no submarines and there were no races except to get to first base. Teens parked around the lake were oblivious to what might be going on outside their car.

Montebello was good for watching fireworks. I remember watching fireworks shooting up from Memorial Stadium along with a long line of cars parked around the lake.

Then over time somehow Lake Montebello...the community...died.

Yesterday I was pleasantly surprised on my drive around Montebello at the sense of community that had returned. Individuals and families walked, jogged or biked in the special lanes made just for them. And in case walking or jogging isn't enough, special exercise equipment dots the perimeter.

A larger but similar space is the Reservoir in Druid Hill Park where my family used to enjoy an outdoor art show that stretched around the water once a year. Many years ago, I applied to be an art vendor at the Druid Hill Art Show but was turned down. The letter I received said that photography was not art and therefore I couldn't exhibit.

Now, alas, Eastern is no longer a school but photography is considered art and Lake Montebello has made a comeback. It's time also to bring back the art show around Druid Hill.

Note: I wrote this in 2010. Now in May, 2013, the Druid Hill art show is coming back! Check details here: http://www.artoutsidemd.org/
.
.
.
.
.

3 comments:

  1. I recently came across some of your "Defining Ourselves" photos at the Unitarian Universalist church in Oakton, VA. I didn't know about the theme, but it didn't take long for me to see how you created portraits using their words. (Then I saw the placard explaining the series.)

    Anyhow... I like the shots so well, that I decided to google you and here you are. So I just thought I'd take a moment to say "hi" and thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind remarks, Colleen. You may be interested to know that this exhibit is making its 5th appearance, this time in Baltimore City:

    April 6, 2013, 6:30 - 9:00 p.m.
    New Beginnings
    1047 Hollins St.
    Baltimore, MD 21223

    ReplyDelete

This space for your comments: